Ponder PALS, Inc. (formerly Ponder Athletic League) offers a minimum of two scholarships to Ponder High School Seniors(if applications are received). Each scholarship will be awarded with a minimum amount of $1500.00 offered with the potential to increase the amount based on who has demonstrated the objectives set forth by good sportsmanship, honesty, loyalty, courage, respect for authority and giving back to the community.
The recipient will be chosen after careful consideration of academic record, personal character, discipline, and extra-curricular activities at PHS and volunteer work in youth sports with the Ponder PALS (formerly Ponder Athletic League).
This scholarship does not restrict its potential recipient to any specific accredited college or trade school.
1. Applicant must be a graduating senior in good standing (attendance and disciplinary) at Ponder High School.
2. Applicant must be an athlete at Ponder High School.
3. Applicant must have maintained an overall high school academic grade point average of 80 or better.
4. Applicant must show proof of a minimum of 50 hours of volunteer work in youth sports with the Ponder PALS (formerly Ponder Athletic League) such as gate keeper, concession stand volunteer, trash clean up, or coaching assistant. Hours must be approved by a PALs board member. These hours are cumulative and can begin as early as ninth grade. The log for these hours are the applicants responsibility to maintain and provide proof of completion. A link for a blank hours log can be found below
5. Write a 250-word (or more) essay on how Ponder PALS (formerly Ponder Athletic League) volunteer work impacted you and the importance of volunteer work in the Ponder community. Your essay should be typed on a separate sheet and attached to the application.
6. Two letters of recommendation are required. One from a current PHS teacher and one from a coach within Ponder ISD. Letters should include information about character, academic achievement, extracurricular activities, leadership qualities, cooperation with authority figures, attitude, and motivation.
7. Applications must be returned to high school office no later than April 25, 2024 by 3:25 p.m.
8. Failure to submit any part of your application and/or applicants who do not meet the outlined criteria will be disqualified.
9. This will be a one-time disbursement of funds to recipient's accredited college or trade school.
50 volunteer hours are needed for the 2024 PALs scholarship granted to at least 2 Ponder seniors. These hours must be earned doing volunteer work with the PALs organization. Some examples of way to earn hours include: gate keeper at football games, concession stand workers, trash cleanup, baseball field maintenance and team assistants for any PALS sport. These hours must be signed off on by a Pals board member and submitted with the scholarship application that can be provided by the Ponder High School counselor.
To be a good host for visiting towns during home games we need volunteer help to keep our concession stands open. We offer short time slots through out the game day so parents or students can help keep us operational and earn volunteer hours. Please take at least one slot per season to help.
Small stand located at Ponder Baptist Church field and at the new Triplex field
Concession stand located at Ponder High School Football field
Concessions and gate help are needed at the Junior high gym during basketball games.
We are always looking for more ways to increase involvement with PALS from our community. Below are a few ideas but there are many more ways.
As Ponder continues to grow we continue to see more of our youth teams needing coaches or even assistant coaches. This is a great opportunity for high school students to assist. And the kids really appreciate the mentoring.
Several of the leagues that PALs participate with train and pay for referee and umpires. Please take advantage of these opportunities.
This is never a fun job but much needed after every game and a quick task for those students looking to quickly get in volunteer hours or parents who don't mind lending a hand in a pinch.
Go to our Contact Us page to find contact info to reach Commissioners to discuss current volunteer needs
Every home game we need help with gates, concessions and chains. We rely on the parents and family members of our cheerleaders to help make our program successful. Please consider volunteering a few hours out of your Saturday to help. This year we will be raffling off 4 free registrations for parents that work volunteer shifts.
High school students can use PALS volunteer hours towards the PALS scholarships that are awarded at the end of every school year.