Ponder PALS, Inc. (formerly Ponder Athletic League) offers a minimum of two scholarships to Ponder High School Seniors. Each scholarship will be awarded with a minimum amount of $1500.00 offered with the potential to increase the amount based on who has demonstrated the objectives set forth by good sportsmanship, honesty, loyalty, courage, respect for authority and giving back to the community.
The recipient will be chosen after careful consideration of academic record, personal character, discipline, and extra-curricular activities at PHS and volunteer work in youth sports with the Ponder PALS (formerly Ponder Athletic League).
This scholarship does not restrict its potential recipient to any specific accredited college or trade school.
1. Applicant must be a graduating senior in good standing (attendance and disciplinary) at Ponder High School.
2. Applicant must be an athlete at Ponder High School.
3. Applicant must have maintained an overall high school academic grade point average of 80 or better.
4. Applicant must show proof of a minimum of 50 hours of volunteer work in youth sports with the Ponder PALS (formerly Ponder Athletic League) such as gate keeper, concession stand volunteer, trash clean up, or coaching assistant. Hours must be approved by a PALs board member. These hours are cumulative and can begin as early as ninth grade.
5. Write a 250-word (or more) essay on how Ponder PALS (formerly Ponder Athletic League) volunteer work impacted you and the importance of volunteer work in the Ponder community. Your essay should be typed on a separate sheet and attached to the application.
6. Two letters of recommendation are required. One from a current PHS teacher and one from a coach within Ponder ISD. Letters should include information about character, academic achievement, extracurricular activities, leadership qualities, cooperation with authority figures, attitude, and motivation.
7. Applications must be returned to high school office no later than April 1, 2022 by 3:25 p.m.
8. Failure to submit any part of your application and/or applicants who do not meet the outlined criteria will be disqualified.
9. This will be a one-time disbursement of funds to recipient's accredited college or trade school.
50 volunteer hours are needed for the 2022 PALs scholarship granted to at least 2 Ponder seniors. These hours must be earned doing volunteer work with the PALs organization. Some examples of way to earn hours include: gate keeper at football games, concession stand workers, trash cleanup, field maintenance and team assistants. These hours must be signed off on by a Pals board member and submitted with the scholarship application that can be provided by the Ponder High School counselor.